Knoqnoq Forum: Everything You Want to Discuss, Most Discussed in India
Search
Reply: 5

Marcelo: Friends with C. Ronaldo and Benzema, Toughest Career Opponent Was Messi

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Forum Veteran

Credits
Post time 18-9-2023 12:45:42 | Show all posts |Read mode
Edited by Isha000 at 18-9-2023 04:10 PM

About half a year ago, former Real Madrid player Marcelo gave an interview to The Athletic in Madrid, discussing his experiences at Real Madrid.

**Initial Nervousness Upon Joining Real Madrid**

I was quite nervous at that time because I didn't know what I was going to do. I brought my computer and some other things. They told me to visit some stadiums and training facilities, and it was only after I realized I didn't need to return to Brazil that they told me to sign a contract. When I came here, I was thinking, 'I'm going to visit the sports complex and then sign the contract that will determine my life.'

I had only seen these players on video games and TV back then. I thought the so-called 'Los Galacticos' didn't really exist, just like I couldn't meet those players. Honestly, it was quite shocking for me. After leaving Real Madrid's training ground, I told my family and friends, 'I've seen all of them.' They all laughed, and so did I. Then I got used to it.

**Advice to Younger Self**

To be honest, I don't think I would say anything to my younger self. When I first arrived, there were already many outstanding players here. Not only in terms of skill but also in their character. I knew that as long as I followed in their footsteps, I could become a significant figure in the football world. Players like Raúl, Ramos, Roberto Carlos, Beckham, Van Nistelrooy, Salgado, and many others. Salgado, in particular, helped me a lot when I first arrived. There were good role models and bad role models at that time, and I chose the good ones.

**Setting an Example for Younger Players**

I'm very relaxed about everything, unlike talking to a psychologist. When Baleverde, Militão, and Camavinga arrived, I was always 'bothering' them, as well as Vinicius, Rodrigo, Sebastián, Asensio, and Nacho, who arrived later. I wouldn't have a ten-minute conversation with them, but I would always be there to help when they needed it. If you didn't perform well in a game, including own goals or missed chances, getting criticized is normal, and that's what a captain needs to do. I became captain at the age of 23, but I also needed to learn.

**Best Moments at Real Madrid**

One of them was at my farewell ceremony, which was on my last day at Real Madrid. The most beautiful thing was when we were at the Bernabéu, and the fans were singing, 'Marcelo, stay!' It was funny because they knew I wouldn't stay, but they said it as a joke, and it was cool for me.

**Celebrating the 14th Champions League Title**

It felt like completing homework. In my first interview, I said that I wanted to bring championships to Real Madrid, and I'm leaving as the player with the most championships. But someone will eventually surpass me, and I'll be happy for them because Real Madrid will continue to win. However, achieving this much, I've also been very lucky. When you first arrive, you never think you'll become the player with the most championships.

I don't know if there were other teams interested in signing me at the time, but if there were, I wouldn't have left if they had come during my time at Real Madrid. I always wanted to play for Real Madrid. Now, I'm back at Real Madrid, and I feel the affection of the players, restaurant staff, security, doctors, and everyone else. It's like when you change schools, leave your friends, and then meet them again.

**Relationship with Cristiano Ronaldo**

You've seen many videos of me joking around with Cristiano Ronaldo, but aside from that, I'm friends with Casemiro, Ramos, Modric, Benzema, and many others. But what people remember is my relationship with Cristiano Ronaldo. That's normal, but I also have some friends outside of football.

**Facing Messi**

Messi is incredible; he's the toughest opponent I've ever faced. We all know his talent, even though he's now 35. The national derby has always been one of the most worth watching and participating in games. I was fortunate to play during the peak of the national derby. But it's not just Messi; the skills of other players are also incredible.

This post contains more resources

You have to Login for download or view attachment(s). No Account? Register

x

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Forum Veteran

Credits
Post time 18-9-2023 21:15:36 | Show all posts
Marcelo possesses strong defensive abilities with excellent defensive awareness and positioning. He can make crucial interceptions and defensive plays in critical moments. However, I believe his offensive and playmaking abilities are even stronger. On the field, he often takes the ball forward, providing assists and creating opportunities for his teammates. He is a highly threatening left-back in terms of attack.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Forum Veteran

Credits
Post time 19-9-2023 08:33:48 | Show all posts
Indeed, Marcelo's toughest opponent was Messi - and Messi is truly the king of football.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Gold membership

Credits
Post time 19-9-2023 09:24:50 | Show all posts
Has Marcelo not retired yet? He's getting quite old.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Forum Veteran

Credits
Post time 19-9-2023 09:35:21 | Show all posts
Messi is a nightmare for countless defenders.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Gold membership

Credits
Post time 19-9-2023 11:00:22 | Show all posts
He said 'the most difficult to deal with,' meaning Messi is too strong.

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list