Knoqnoq Forum: Everything You Want to Discuss, Most Discussed in India
Search
Reply: 4

The metaverse has been around for a long time, but what makes the current met...

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Forum Veteran

Credits
Post time 24-11-2023 21:24:36 | Show all posts |Read mode
"Actually, the metaverse has been around for a long time. Remember ""The Sim City""? That's also a game I like. Also, around 30 years ago, science fiction writer Neal Stephenson first coined the term ""Metaverse"" in 1992 in his novel ""Snow Crash."" In his novel, the Metaverse is portrayed as a 3D virtual world where people play roles created by AI, allowing them to move around, socialize, and interact. So, what's different about today's metaverse? Or, in other words, why now?

The metaverse entry package for Generation Z, especially those born in the late '90s/early 2000s, is significant. Webkinz is a perfect representation that connects the physical and digital worlds. On your birthday, you receive a plush Webkinz toy with a digital code that lets you enter the Webkinz world with a digital version of the toy. When I graduated from middle school, I became obsessed with simulation games (especially The Sims 2 Deluxe), spending hours creating new families and communities, simulating life through simulated life.

So, what makes the current metaverse special, given that it has been around for many years? It's due to a combination of market opportunities, technology (blockchain, VR), and generational readiness. The COVID-19 pandemic has forced people of all ages to become more comfortable with digital life and remote work, whether for work, ordering groceries, seeing a doctor or vet remotely, or spending time with friends and family through online meetings or video.

The metaverse, with its traditional games featuring avatars, skins, economies, and social platforms, can be seen as a manifestation of the metaverse itself. However, challenges will accompany these new discoveries as we explore this new world. Differentiating between moderators running the true metaverse and AI-generated avatars might bring about some issues or questions.

The online disinhibition effect explains why people often exhibit negative behavior online, hiding behind screens or anonymous identities—similar to what we see in online comment sections or any real online forum. Naturally, there will be bad actors disrupting others' experiences. It's crucial to use technology and training to help platforms and new companies minimize such situations as much as possible.

Lastly, the metaverse is indeed a vast world, expanding our possibilities—new income potential and revenue streams. With the emergence of COVID-19, traveling and experiencing new things became challenging, but VR and the metaverse are changing that. In the past two years, I've met more people online than in my entire life."

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Forum Veteran

Credits
Post time 24-11-2023 21:32:34 | Show all posts
Quite interesting.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Forum Veteran

Credits
Post time 25-11-2023 06:55:12 | Show all posts
The metaverse is always controlled by the wealthy, and even if it is successfully created, it will be nothing more than a second reality.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Forum Veteran

Credits
Post time 25-11-2023 10:02:46 | Show all posts
The metaverse is not a real world but a virtual one.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Forum Veteran

Credits
Post time 25-11-2023 10:18:46 | Show all posts
Decentralization is the key, and many have not achieved it.

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list