Life is good as long as you're happy. What's the use of self-discipline when

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Forum Veteran

Credits
Post time 21-12-2023 21:07:41 | Show all posts |Read mode
Edited by Iti9 at 22-12-2023 08:35 AM

A few days ago, I came across a book discussing the topic of self-discipline, and I found it quite insightful, so I'd like to share it.

Many people say that it's challenging for gamblers to be self-disciplined. Why? Because what they achieve is often just "apparent self-discipline." When they feel anxious and guilty, they decide to quit gambling. Typically, they replace the time spent on gambling with activities such as reading, exercising, or various other pursuits. Initially, they may feel disciplined, using their time for meaningful activities, and it feels reassuring. However, they quickly become weary of this "apparent self-discipline" process.

Why does this happen? Because they are individuals who have experienced the ups and downs of the gambling world. How can they settle for a calm, mundane routine? As expected, after persevering for a while, they are likely to give up and enter a cycle of degradation. After playing for a while, they feel guilty, try apparent self-discipline, give up again, feel guilty once more, attempt apparent self-discipline again... This is why many gamblers find it challenging to be self-disciplined and feel that real self-discipline is far from reach.

I have also attempted to quit gambling, but it was only apparent self-discipline. If you truly want to achieve "genuine habitual self-discipline," you must have a goal. Clearly, I couldn't find a reason to give up gambling, so I never set a real goal to quit, and self-discipline was not successful.

However, I think, since gambling can add some color to my life, why force myself to quit? It's not like I'm playing big. If I feel lucky, I place a few more bets, and when I win, I treat myself to something nice. When luck isn't on my side, I leave with minimal impact. The most important thing is to be happy. If not happy, what's the use of self-discipline?

But what I want to emphasize is that you can lack self-discipline, but you cannot lack self-awareness. In the world of gambling, self-awareness is far more crucial than self-discipline.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Forum Veteran

Credits
Post time 21-12-2023 21:24:01 | Show all posts
Exactly, happiness is the most important, and it doesn't affect others.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Forum Veteran

Credits
Post time 21-12-2023 21:48:16 | Show all posts
An adult's happiness often requires financial support.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Forum Veteran

Credits
Post time 22-12-2023 21:20:59 | Show all posts
The key is to have money to be happy. Right now, I'm crazy poor.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Forum Veteran

Credits
Post time 22-12-2023 21:33:49 | Show all posts
Happiness and self-discipline are often two concepts that run counter to each other.

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list