Reply: 2

Sports will inevitably have moments of disappointment, but also bring others

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Forum Veteran

Credits
Post time 21-9-2023 13:59:00 | Show all posts |Read mode
Although I am a Manchester United fan, I actually supported Arsenal to win the championship in the June season. The main reason, among others, is that Manchester City has won too many championships in recent years. For a sport to develop, there should be no monopoly of titles. Moreover, as Manchester United's cross-town rivals, I really don't want to see them winning championships.

Arsenal had an outstanding season, and there's no need to elaborate on that. We often say that the future belongs to the youth, so watching these young Arsenal players defy the odds to contend for the title, maintaining a 93% lead throughout the season, and coming through with numerous last-minute goals, including players like Xhaka, who was ridiculed by the entire football world but had a remarkable comeback this season, was truly moving. So, unconsciously, this season I found myself supporting Arsenal since Manchester United wasn't going to win the title.

It's just a shame that Arsenal's tradition of letting things slip resurfaced, and they either drew or lost games, ultimately handing the championship to someone else. I couldn't help but feel disappointed. Even I, as a Manchester United fan, was disappointed. I can't imagine how Arsenal fans felt during that period. But what I want to say is that in sports, whether you succeed or falter, there are many meaningful aspects beyond winning championships.

For instance, I have a colleague who is an Arsenal fan, and he bought tickets for the last home game against Wolverhampton Wanderers. I asked him if he was angry and disappointed about finishing second instead of first. He said he was certainly disappointed and would initially be upset, but looking at the season as a whole, it was beautiful and dreamlike. Arsenal had also secured a place in the Champions League, so there were many positives to take away from the season. The fantastic performance of Arsenal over the past year had become his spiritual support, something he would remember for a lifetime. I think this is the power of sports.

While championships are important and defeating your arch-rivals is crucial, the support for a team can provide fans with tremendous strength. Some people find spiritual solace in their teams and then apply that strength to their real lives. Perhaps this is the true meaning of sports competition.

This post contains more resources

You have to Login for download or view attachment(s). No Account? Register

x

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Forum Veteran

Credits
Post time 21-9-2023 15:40:12 | Show all posts
This can only lead to disappointment if there is hope; without hope, there can be no disappointment.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Forum Veteran

Credits
Post time 21-9-2023 16:04:38 | Show all posts
Manchester United is also trying its best, hoping that the team will gradually improve over time.

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list