Reply: 4

Differences between how others perceive us & how we perceive ourselves

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Forum Veteran

Credits
Post time 28-9-2023 10:39:26 | Show all posts |Read mode
I'm curious about whether you tend to adopt a proactive "I control my destiny" approach in real life, or a passive "let fate decide" attitude. The main reason for contemplating this topic is a conversation with a younger colleague. He mentioned that I am diligent at work, and initially, when he joined, I assisted him a lot. He also expressed a desire to find more motivation in his work. However, for him, a job is just a job—making no mistakes, receiving a paycheck on time, and maybe a raise the following year is sufficient.

For him, as long as the job is error-free and allows for a comfortable life, that's good enough. He asked me why I am so dedicated to my work. Hearing his assessment surprised me because it differs greatly from how I perceive myself. Personally, I think I do my job well purely out of a sense of responsibility, striving to execute it flawlessly. However, as to whether I aim for perfection, I don't think I consciously have such a mindset!

In fact, I believe my core approach is similar to this colleague's. I simply meet my own standards in my work and then leave the rest to fate. I never do extra work just to climb the career ladder, so I don't fall into the category of those who are very proactive. I'm just a bit surprised that an outsider's evaluation of me is so different from how I see myself. I can't quite grasp the exact reason for this yet, so I don't know how to conclude on this phenomenon. I find it interesting and wanted to share it with you.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Forum Veteran

Credits
Post time 28-9-2023 11:49:16 | Show all posts
Why worry about how others evaluate you? Just focus on being the best version of yourself.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Forum Veteran

Credits
Post time 28-9-2023 15:47:06 | Show all posts
I agree with that. Everyone's evaluation is different.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Forum Veteran

Credits
Post time 28-9-2023 15:52:48 | Show all posts
Different people have different perspectives.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Forum Veteran

Credits
Post time 28-9-2023 15:57:10 | Show all posts
ou're someone who is always willing to help at work, and others have a high opinion of your job performance. Internally, you have a very balanced attitude towards promotions and salary increases. What more is there to worry about?

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list