[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Forum Veteran

Credits
Post time 13-12-2023 12:55:19 | Show all posts |Read mode
Edited by Samiksha at 26-12-2023 12:42 PM

How Texas Hold'em Changed Me

Next, I want to talk about the changes that Texas Hold'em has brought to my life. I used to be a perfectionist with a fragile inner self who couldn't accept failure. For instance, in middle school, when I scored 99 on a geography final exam, I cried all day. Looking back, it seems quite amusing. I had a relatively smooth upbringing, experiencing few setbacks. I was used to achieving what I wanted and belonged to the category of children who seemingly had it all.

As I entered college, I gradually realized that many things were not within my control, and outcomes were not always determined by my will. Academic struggles, job hunting failures, physical ailments, relationship issues, and more started to make me aware of life's uncertainties. Initially, it was challenging for me to accept that not every effort I put in would yield linear returns. The unpredictability of life became more apparent to me over time, especially when I joined the "alchemist" profession, where uncertainties were even more pronounced.

Sometimes, I spent half a month on experiments that turned out completely different from what I expected. The hard work put into a project for almost half a year resulted in a clash with a senior researcher. Papers submitted, which everyone said were well-written and certain to be accepted, faced rejection. Just a couple of days ago, I anxiously awaited the results of a paper, losing sleep throughout the night. Slowly, I became accustomed to it.

After coming to the Netherlands for my Ph.D., I encountered Texas Hold'em. This game directly targeted my weaknesses—self-doubt due to failure, mindset collapse caused by bad beats, and decreased performance due to significant fluctuations. Being overly concerned about wins and losses, unable to let go of sunk costs, and fearing losses while being attached to outcomes led me to lose a considerable amount of money when I first started playing Texas Hold'em.

With more experience, I gained some understanding of Texas Hold'em and developed a new perspective on "probability,"an abstract concept that constantly influences our lives. Your AA might dominate someone else's KK today, but tomorrow, your KK might get bad beaten by someone else's AA. These events are beyond our control, and the key is to push your hands, like AA and KK, without overthinking. Winning or losing is not something you can decide. I've reached a point where I can remain calm after being bad beaten, not even wanting to watch the runout during horse races. Win when I win, lose when I lose.

After over a month of learning GTO (Game Theory Optimal) strategies and extensive training through videos, I've received some positive feedback, and it feels great. Life, like Texas Hold'em, is full of choices, uncertainties, unexpected joys, and misfortunes. All you can do is live each day to the fullest, make the best choices, and leave the rest to fate. What you consider improbable events are happening every minute in this world. When it's your turn, it may seem unfair, but it's an inescapable law of nature. I hope to continue strengthening my inner self, and I hope everyone can maintain a positive mindset, enjoy the game, and embrace life. After all, life is a play.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Forum Veteran

Credits
Post time 13-12-2023 22:01:23 | Show all posts
"The most significant impact on mentality is undoubtedly getting hacked."

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Forum Veteran

Credits
Post time 14-12-2023 10:05:18 | Show all posts
The best outcome for this game is to be profitable

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Forum Veteran

Credits
Post time 14-12-2023 10:05:46 | Show all posts
The final paragraph of the game feels meaningful, but it's challenging to achieve in my case, given my exceptionally bad luck

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list