Knoqnoq Forum: Everything You Want to Discuss, Most Discussed in India
Search
Reply: 3

T1 Captain: The goal is to rebuild the T1 dynasty.

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Forum Veteran

Credits
Post time 11-1-2024 06:41:38 | Show all posts |Read mode
On January 3, according to the Korean media National Daily, an article was published featuring T1 CEO Jeong Huin detailing the behind-the-scenes story of T1's transfer period. The translation of the second part of the article is as follows:

After winning the League of Legends World Championship in November at the Seoul KASADAE, T1 returned to the pinnacle of the esports world after seven years. However, they did not have time to savor the victory because, two days after winning the championship, three of their starting players became free agents. T1 did not indulge in the joy of victory but immediately focused on the transfer period, striving to renew contracts with players. Eventually, they successfully extended contracts with Zeus, Gumayusi, and Keria. On December 18, we interviewed CEO Jeong Huin at the T1 base in Gangnam, Seoul, where he recounted the behind-the-scenes stories of the transfer period.

Q: The LCK CL team's acquisition of Rekkles has also become a hot topic.

CEO Jeong Huin: Before talking about Rekkles, we should discuss the CL team. The first team of T1 is already excellent, but my responsibility is to build the entire T1, including the first team, into an outstanding organization. For this reason, I believe it is essential to discover players and establish a system for nurturing rising stars. Good people and leaders are the foundation of a good system. This aligns with our acquisition of Coach kkOma; I believe the role of a coach and supervisor is crucial.

Therefore, before GBM Coach officially retired, we decided to appoint him as the commander of the CL team. GBM Coach has a clear philosophy of the game, and his ability to explain the game content to others is outstanding. Many people understand theory well, but few can explain it simply to others. If the rising stars of the CL team work with GBM Coach, I believe they can continue to grow.

After deciding to continue working with the existing top, mid, and AD of the CL team in 2024, we communicated a lot with GBM Coach in the process of finding new jungle and support players. We believed there was no experienced player who could actively participate in LCK CL as a support, and there was no player in the team with experience as a mentor for these rising stars.

For Poby, having GBM Coach, who was a mid laner, as his mentor during his active playing days was beneficial. However, for Smash (AD), there was no senior who could play such a role. Smash has already reached a level where he can independently lead the game in collaboration with any player in LCK CL. But I believe continuous learning is good for players.

In October, when we were troubled by these factors, I saw the news that Rekkles became a free agent. From the opposite perspective with GBM Coach, we thought about why we couldn't acquire Rekkles. The first point is strength, the second point is conditions, and the third point is language and cultural differences.

Firstly, even though he may need a certain transition period as he shifts from AD to support, as a player who has conquered the LEC, he will not struggle due to insufficient strength in LCK CL.

The second point is conditions. We told Rekkles, "We are not recruiting you with special treatment, so you need to comply with the standards of the CL team, including team activities," and Rekkles made it clear. Rekkles understood that the team could not create exceptions, and he came to Korea for the challenge.

Previously, LCK had not used teams with multiple languages, but there are many precedents in LPL, LEC, and LCS. If necessary, even with gestures, he will improve teamwork with Korean players. LPL teams won the World Championship when working with Korean players. Although there may be language barriers, I don't think this barrier is high enough for us to give up recruiting Rekkles.

Whether it is LCK or LCK CL, for further development, I believe it is a period where globalizing the talent pool is necessary. Not only leagues like the English Premier League (EPL) and Major League Baseball (MLB), even the NBA, which dominated the U.S. for decades, has eventually become globalized. Overseas players like Nikola Jokic (Serbia), Giannis Antetokounmpo (Greece), and Joel Embiid (Cameroon) have dominated. I think the globalization of the league is not only beneficial for viewership but also has significant implications for talent acquisition. Although T1 does not necessarily have to use foreign aid in LCK, I believe Rekkles' journey in LCK CL will be a meaningful challenge for players, teams, and the league.

Q: If you were to rate the operation of T1 during this year's transfer period, how many points would you give?

CEO Jeong Huin: We have already submitted our answer; only the team's performance can give the final score. But what I can say is that we achieved everything in Plan A during this transfer period. I have no regrets, and I have written down the best answer in my heart.

Q: With the World Championship, you reclaimed the throne after seven years. Some say defending the throne is more challenging than conquering it. How do you see it?

CEO Jeong Huin: That's one reason for recruiting Coach kkOma. Teams that have won the World Championship and reached the World Championship final stage the following year have occurred three times: T1 in 2015-2016, T1 in 2016-2017, and DWG in 2020-2021. Coach kkOma served as the head coach for these three defending champion teams. We wanted to invite someone with experience in defending the throne.

Moreover, I believe in the players of the first team. This year, everyone really went through a lot of difficulties, hardships, setbacks, and seemingly bottomless valleys. They are players fully qualified in terms of qualifications and character to maintain their championship title. As the captain, although I will work hard to prepare what they need, I want to maintain this natural atmosphere rather than making special efforts. I think as long as we do this, we can achieve good results.

Q: What are T1's goals for 2024?

CEO Jeong Huin: Rebuilding the T1 dynasty. We will continue the story and growth process of T1 in 2023 that resonated with many people. The macro goal is to build a healthy and sustainable team. T1, as the leader of LCK, strives for the league's development and the establishment of a cyclical ecosystem. I hope these efforts yield good results.

Q: Finally, is there something specific you'd like to convey through this interview?

CEO Jeong Huin: I want to thank the players! After the players won the World Championship, they were really busy. Like the Dream Team athletes who became global idols after winning the 1992 Barcelona Olympics, including Faker Lee Sang-hyeok, the five T1 players benefited from the achievements of 2023, and their public awareness has increased significantly. Usually, we would reduce activities outside of matches. However, this time, the players became the faces representing professional players, so it was challenging to reduce external activities. I'm grateful that T1 has these five players, and I appreciate them. I hope they have a healthy and happy year ahead. Also, Coach kkOma joining T1 has special significance for me, and I'm very happy about it.

This post contains more resources

You have to Login for download or view attachment(s). No Account? Register

x

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Forum Veteran

Credits
Post time 11-1-2024 07:44:42 | Show all posts
That documentary...

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Forum Veteran

Credits
Post time 11-1-2024 09:50:16 | Show all posts
With Faker, sustainable development is possible.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Forum Veteran

Credits
Post time 11-1-2024 11:04:23 | Show all posts
You are the only ones with sustainable development worldwide.

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list